GOOD Magazine and Website seeks an Art Director. This senior level creative position will oversee artistic direction of GOOD Magazine, a multimedia lifestyle brand for the global citizen and creative change-maker. GOOD Magazine consists of a quarterly, print publication and a website that publishes feature and blog content in the form of news, commentary, photography, design, and the best new writing.
- The Art Director will work with the Creative Director to build and maintain an exceptionally bold visual identity for GOOD Magazine across its platforms. The AD will create innovative, effective, and apt visuals for all editorial—whether generated from a visual or written concept.
- The AD will be a primary source for generating visual ideas that can develop into content across media, creating a strong visual interpretation of editorial.
- The AD is responsible for strategy and completion. He or she will direct the design team through all aspects of execution: artwork, layout design, and title graphics. The AD will ensure that the visual elements and packaging of stories are both clear and enticing.
- The Art Director will oversee design and photography editors and freelancers for online and print.
- The Art Director will collaborate with the Executive Editor, Managing Editor and Photo Editor to create, promote, and maintain a quarterly grant for journalists and photographers to propose and execute team projects.
- The Art Director will work with the Website Editor to illustrate editorial-driven content with infographics, photography, slideshows, video, or design. The Art Director will also work with the Information Editor and Website Editor to generate editorial for features that are conceptualized visually.
- The Art Director will also work with the Special Projects Editor to conceive preliminary approaches and advise on how best to execute the projects.
- The Art Director will be responsible for maintaining the visual sensibility and effectiveness of GOOD throughout projects, across platforms.
- The Art Director reports to the Creative Director and Executive Editor of GOOD.
- This is not an entry level position. The AD should have a minimum of three years experience in a senior creative position, with at least some significant background in magazine publishing (online or print).
- The AD should have a strong, demonstrable interest in how information is presented across several platforms, as well as which platforms are best for what kind of information.
- The AD must provide work samples that show innovation, integrity of art + design + content + strategy and completeness.
- Must possess strong initiative, strong organizational, problem-solving, communication, and management skills. Demonstrate an ability to lead a team and communicate exceptionally well with designers, freelancers, and editorial
- The AD will be joining GOOD in a transitional period, and should be interested in helping to craft a strong new sensibility for the company’s media. This means a solid awareness of what is going on in the industry, the boldness to forge new directions, and the wherewithal to keep the product directed and innovative.